Contact us with questions
Last updated Dec 21, 2022
We may change the provisions of this Policy at any time and will indicate when changes have been made by revising the date at the top of this Policy. Your use of the Services, or any portion thereof, following the posting of such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes. We encourage you to review the Policy whenever you access the Services to make sure that you understand our information collection, use and disclosure practices. If we make material changes to this policy, we will provide you with additional notice of such changes and give you an opportunity to opt-out of the Service before using or sharing previously collected information in a materially different way.
Information That You Provide to Us
- Workona may collect information that you provide when you use the services, such as when you: (1) create an account; (2) purchase a subscription to a paid version of the services; (3) send questions or comments via email or live chat to Workona customer support; (4) submit your resume to us online; (6) fill out surveys; (7) integrate third-party data (such as browser history) with Workona, or (8) otherwise communicate with us through the Services. The types of personal information that you provide may include your name, email address, telephone number, postal address, credit card information, photograph/avatar, and other contact or identifying information that you choose to provide.
- Content. Workona stores, processes and maintains files that you create and/or upload using the Services (as well as previous versions of your files), including Workona spaces that you create, sharing lists, and other data related to your account in order to provide the service to you.
How We Collect Information
We collect the following personal information from you:
- Account activity. Workona’s servers automatically record certain information about your use of Workona. Similar to other web services, Workona uses both permanent and session cookies, web beacons, and pixel tracking technology to record information such as account activity (e.g., storage usage, number of log-ins, actions taken), data displayed or clicked on (e.g., UI elements, links), other log information (e.g., browser type, IP address, date and time of access, cookie ID, referrer URL, etc.), and to remember user preferences while using the services. Workona may collect automated error reports in the case of software malfunction; such error reports may contain some or all of the information in your spaces and may be reviewed to help resolve problems with the Workona software or service.
Information We Collect From Third Parties
- We may obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Service. For example, if you create or log into your account through a third-party social networking site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account info and friends, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such third-party social networking site.
- If you elect to purchase a subscription to use a paid version of our Service, we may receive information about your purchase from our third-party payment processor.
- We use analytics services and software provided by third parties to help us understand how users access and use the Services. These tools and services place cookies, web beacons and other devices or technologies on our Services to enable them to track traffic data. The data collected typically includes information such as your IP address, your Internet Service Provider, your web browser, the time spent on webpages, the links clicked and the advertisements viewed on those pages. We use this information to improve our Services and your experience, to see which areas and features of our Services are popular and to count visits.
How We Use Your Information
- We use personal information collected through Workona’s services for purposes described in this Policy or otherwise disclosed to you on or in connection with our services. For example, we may use your information to:
- Operate and improve our services;
- Send you advertising or promotional materials, including information about new products, contests, features and enhancements, special offers and other events of interest from Workona and our select partners;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions, and to send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Monitor and evaluate trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide ads, content, communications or features that match user profiles or interests; and
- Link or combine with other information we get from third parties to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
- Files you create, upload, or copy to Workona may, if you choose, be read, copied, used and redistributed by people you know or, again if you choose, by people you do not know. Information you disclose using the chat function of Workona may be read, copied, used and redistributed by people participating in the chat. Use care when including sensitive personal information in files you share or in chat sessions, such as social security numbers, financial account information, home addresses or phone numbers.
- The use of information received from Google APIs will adhere to the Chrome Web Store User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
- The use and transfer to any other app of information received from Google APIs will adhere to the Google API Services User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
- We may use your personal information in order to target and display advertising to you on our site that is provided by third parties.
- Workona reserves the right to review spaces to help resolve problems with the Workona software or service, or to ensure compliance with our Terms of Service.
- Workona may share your personal information with third parties in the following limited circumstances:
- When we have your consent.
- With third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf, who are hosting our data, and need access to your information to carry out their work for us. These entities have agreed to maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of the personal information they obtain from us, and, unless we notify you otherwise and provide you with an opportunity to opt-out, will not use your personal information for any purpose other than as described in this Policy.
- With data analytics and advertising services in order to understand your preferences and to show you advertising on our site or through our Service.
- With law enforcement, courts of competent jurisdiction, or others when we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Workona, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- With your employer if the domain of the primary email address associated with your Workona account is owned by your employer and that email address was assigned to you as an employee of that organization, and an authorized representative of that organization wishes to establish a Workona company account and add you to it, then certain information concerning your individual account may become accessible to that organization’s administrator including your name and email address, and your account may be added to the corporate account.
- We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, and anonymized information, such as the number of users who accessed a certain url, or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement.
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of some or all of Workona’s assets, bankruptcy or reorganization, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of Workona’s business to another company.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Workona takes reasonable measures to protect your personal information and your spaces from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction and to ensure that your spaces remain available to you.
- We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We store our backups for six (6) months. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
Hosting and Data Transfer
- We are based in the United States and, unless we expressly agree otherwise, we may host, transfer, and process data, including personal information, in the United States and in other countries through Workona affiliates and third parties that we use to operate and manage the Services. These countries may have data protection laws that are different from those of your country of residence. Workona uses a variety of safeguards, including contractual and technical measures, to protect the data we transfer.
- Workona is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the FTC. If Workona shares European Data with a third-party service provider that processes the data solely on our behalf, then Workona will be liable for that third party’s processing of European Data in violation of the Principles, unless Workona can prove that it is not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
- Under the Principles, you have the right to access your information that Workona has collected from you. You may do so by contacting Workona using the “Contact Us” information below. You have the right to limit the use and disclosure of your personal data by not providing said information to Workona or by not using our Services. You may request that Workona correct, amend, or delete your information where it is inaccurate, or has been processed in violation of the Principles, except where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to your privacy in the case in question, or where the rights of other persons would be violated.
- You may terminate your use of Workona at any time.
- Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails, text messages, or mail from Workona by visiting your user settings page at https://workona.com/settings and updating your communications preferences, by following the instructions in emails or text messages, or by sending an email to email@example.com. If you opt out, we may still send you transactional or relationship messages, such as emails about your account or our ongoing business relations.
California Privacy Disclosure
- Under the California Consumer Privacy Protection Act (CCPA), we are required to provide you with information about the information Workona may collect, the purpose for which we collect such information, the sources of that information, and the categories of third parties with whom we share that information.
- In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, financial information, internet or electronic network activity information, professional and employment-related information, education information, and inferences. For details about the precise data points we collect and the categories of sources of such collection, please see the Information We Collect section above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the How We Use the Information We Collect section above. In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business purposes to the following categories of recipients:
|Category of Personal Information||Categories of Recipients|
|Identifiers||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, payment processing and other financial services partners, fulfillment partners, security and fraud prevention partners, customer service partners, general business productivity partners and recruiting partners|
|Financial information||Payment processing and other financial services partners, fulfillment partners, security and fraud prevention partners, customer service partners|
|Internet or electronic network activity information||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, payment processing and other financial services partners, fulfillment partners, security and fraud prevention partners, customer service partners|
|Professional and employment-related information||Data analytics providers, fraud prevention partners, recruiting partners|
|Education information||Data analytics providers, recruiting partners, general business productivity partners|
|Inferences||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, payment processing partners, fulfillment partners, customer service partners|
|Other information you choose to provide||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, payment processing and other financial services partners, fulfillment partners, security and fraud prevention partners, customer service partners, recruiting partners|
Your California Rights
- California residents have the right to request access to or deletion of their personal data. You may exercise these rights as described in the “Your Choices and Rights” section above, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. California residents also have the right to request additional details about our information practices and to not be discriminated against for exercising their rights. After submitting a request to access or delete your personal data, please monitor your email address associated with your Workona account for correspondence from Workona aimed at verifying your identity before we process your request. If we receive your request from an authorized agent, we may ask for evidence that you have provided such agent with written authority to submit requests on your behalf. We may also require that you confirm your request and your identity directly with Workona.
Residents of the European Economic Area
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), please review this additional information.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your personal data, we will only do so in the following situations:
- We have your consent to do so. For example, we may ask your consent to send you marketing communications.
- We need to use your personal data to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the Services you have requested).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, we may process your personal data to communicate with you about changes to our Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
- You have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data. You may access, review, modify, and delete your personal data by following the instructions under “Your Choices” above.
Questions or Complaints
- If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please contact Workona at email@example.com or via mail at 2261 Market Street #4455 San Francisco, CA 94114, Attn: Privacy Notices.
What is Workona for Education?
- Workona Inc. (“Workona,” “we,” or “us”) offers a web- and app-based work management tool that students and teachers can use to organize everything for a project or class in one place (“the Services”).
- Teachers and students use these Services to help students learn personal work management skills and help students succeed in a digital/remote learning environment. More than 75,000 students, teachers, and administrators around the world are using Workona for Education to learn and work together. We are committed to protecting the privacy and security of all our users, including students. We care deeply about empowering today’s students for the future of work. We are committed to keeping the trust of schools and parents by protecting the personal information we collect and using that information only to provide our Services.
What Information Do We Collect about Students?
- Workona will not collect, maintain, use or share Student personal information beyond that needed for authorized educational/school purposes, as authorized by the parent or Student or as otherwise allowed by this Policy.
- When a Student registers for the Services, Workona collects (1) name, (2) email address, and (3) password. Registration information may be provided by the Student directly or by their school.
Information That We Collect Automatically from Students
- When Students use the Services, we collect and maintain the spaces and other data that Students create, add, and/or upload using the Services (as well as previous versions of that data), including spaces that Students create, sharing lists, and other data related to the Student’s account.
- Similar to other web services, Workona uses both persistent and session cookies, web beacons, and pixel tracking technology to record information such as:
- account activity (e.g., storage usage, number of log-ins, actions taken);
- data displayed or clicked on (e.g., UI elements, links, web pages viewed);
- other log information (e.g., browser type, operating system, device name and model, IP address, date and time of access, length of time spent on our websites or in our Services, device identifier or a similar unique identifier, referrer URL, webpage that led a user to our website); and
- user preferences while using the Services (e.g. language).
- “Cookies” are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to a computer’s hard drive through a web browser for record-keeping purposes. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once a user closes a web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on a computer until a user deletes them). Some Cookies allow us to make it easier for a Student to navigate our website and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track a Student’s activities, but only as those activities relate to the Student’s use of our websites and Services.
How Do We Use Student Information?
- We use the information we collect from Students to provide, administer, operate, and improve our Services, to support the internal operations of our websites and Services, monitor and evaluate trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services and better tailor our Services to our users’ needs. We also use the information we collect to respond to comments, questions and requests and provide customer service and for security reasons and to comply with legal obligations.
- When information is provided by schools, we use that information to create an account and to track the number of users on the account for billing purposes. We may use aggregate or de-identified information about the use of the Services for research, analysis, and similar purposes, for example, to better understand how users access and use the Services; to improve the Services; or for other research and analytical purposes.
How Do We Share Student Information?
- We are committed to not advertising or marketing to Students or others based on Students’ use of the Services. We will not disclose any personal information about Students to third parties, except as described below. We never sell, rent, or trade any Student information.
- Workona may share Student personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- We will disclose Students’ personal information: (1) to each Student’s individual teacher(s) and parent(s) or guardian(s); and (2) as directed by the Student’s school. In addition, if the Student has an account through a school, the Student’s teacher(s) and school administrators can see the Student’s profile and work. Teachers may share assignments with other students and with other teachers or administrators.
- When we have a parent’s or guardian’s consent directly or through the school.
- With third-party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf, who are hosting our data, and need access to information to carry out their work for us. These entities have agreed to maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of the personal information they obtain from us, and, will not use personal information for any purpose other than as described in this Policy.
- With law enforcement, courts of competent jurisdiction, or others when we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (1) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (2) enforce the applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (3) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (4) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Workona, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of some or all of Workona’s assets, bankruptcy or reorganization, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of Workona’s business to another company; provided that a successor entity may only maintain Student personal information subject to these same commitments for the previously collected Student personal information.
- When schools use integrations, like Zoom or Google Drive, these integrations may receive information needed to provide their services.
- Schools may enable Students to share, publish, or collaborate with other services using our Services. When Schools enable these features, other users will receive access to information Students share or collaborate on and third parties may receive information that Students publish, all of which may be redistributed by those users or third parties.
What Controls Do We Make Available?
- Schools control the personal information shared with us, and are responsible for ensuring that they have any parental consent necessary to share personal information with us and to allow us to collect personal information from Students.
- Parents or legal guardians of a Student who is using the Services through their schools can contact the appropriate official at the Student’s school to access, review, correct, or delete their Student’s personal information or accounts. If the school determines that the request should be implemented, the school may either make the change themselves or submit the request to us.
- If your child has registered for a Workona account independent of a school (or if you set up an account for your child independent of a school), you may update, correct, or delete your child’s profile information or preferences at any time by logging into your child’s account and accessing the account setting page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may ask us to delete the account by emailing us at email@example.com. When you exercise these rights, we may ask you to provide proof of legal guardianship.
- If you are not sure what type of account your child has, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist you.
- Please note that even if you delete information from your account or deactivate it, we may retain certain information as required by law. We may also retain cached or archivedil at 2261 Market Street #4455 San Francisco, CA 94114, Attn: Privacy Notices. copies of your Student’s information or content for a certain period of time.
- Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our websites who disable cookies will still be able to browse certain areas of the website, but some features may not be available to you.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please contact Workona at email@example.com or via mail at 2261 Market Street #4455 San Francisco, CA 94114, Attn: Privacy Notices.