An Apology From Our CEO
September 24, 2021
This week, we made some serious missteps while launching Workona’s premium plans. Please allow me to personally apologize and explain exactly what we’ve done to make it right.
We assumed that a detailed email sent a month ago announcing the changes was enough advance notice for users. Clearly, we were wrong. Your feedback has made it obvious that this was a major mistake. We should have announced this in the product, multiple times. We messed up, and we’re sorry.
Many users were caught off guard by the restrictions of the Free plan and wondered whether Workona was still a good option for them. This was exacerbated by the unclear language we used in our popup, which made them believe they were locked out of their workspaces. This was not the case (and not our intention), but that doesn't change the damage it did to our users' trust in Workona.
To make this right, we’ve taken the following steps:
- We pushed the launch of our Free plan restrictions back to October 6th to allow you time to plan & adjust. You can do everything you’re accustomed to, including creating new workspaces, until that time.
- For those who’ve already upgraded, we’ve issued a prorated account credit for the time between Sep. 21st and Oct. 6th.
Early adopters, your workspaces are safe
To say thank you to our early adopters, workspaces created before the launch of our paid plans won’t be locked. Instead:
- All of your previously created workspaces are accessible to you, forever. They are still yours, and everything in them remains available to you.
- All of your content is safe, including tabs & resources. When we first launched Workona, we committed to protect your privacy and never sell your data to third-parties, and instead charge our users directly for the value our software provides. This has never changed.
- All of your previous automatic session backups are accessible with no limits. You can easily access and restore any previous sessions in all of your existing workspaces if you need to — without restriction.
We’ve heard accusations of corporate greed in the past few days. As a small startup of 11 dedicated employees, that’s tough to hear. From the start, we’ve been committed to building a transformational tool that provides real productivity gains and improves your quality of life. Premium plans are necessary for us to continue building the product you love.
We provided Workona to all users entirely for free while the product was in the early stages of development, but we have always communicated our plans for subscriptions and free account limitations on our website. I know it can be frustrating when a beloved tool is no longer free, but we hope you agree with us that good software is worth paying for.
For the vast majority of users, Workona has always been a 5-star experience. Despite recent missteps, we’re excited to continue working on one of the best productivity tools out there for people who work in the browser. Your support makes it possible. Thank you. If you have questions, we’re happy to help; just email us at email@example.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Again, I personally sincerely apologize for how this transition was handled, and I hope our efforts to make things right will help rebuild your trust in Workona and our team.
– Quinn Morgan, CEO